Saturday, June 11, 2011

2010 - 2011 School Year Part I

So...lemme catch you up on the past year and some change of my life -- it's been a CRAZY one.

Last time I actually blogged, it was the beginning of LAST school year, and I was in the Media Center. It was not the worst year of my life, but definitely not my best (not even close). It was a year of "ho-hum" for lack of better description. I felt wasted - like I wasn't really getting to touch lives of children or being able to make a difference. Sure it was nice not to have papers to grade or report cards to input, but it just wasn't me. Even when I had classes I still felt out of sorts - while I LOVE books and reading, I am by no means excited by the Dewey Decimal system or teaching research components. When I didn't have classes I was busy trying to survive the mountains of excess responsibilities thrown my way. My fav - teaching PE for two weeks...yes you read that correctly. Bottom line - I wasn't in love with my job.

So, the year ended and summer began...fast forward to the beginning of August...I'm flying home from a wonderful visit to CT and in between flights, I turn my phone on to check messages, and see I have one from my boss. Immediately I decide to SKIP that one, as I am sure it has to do with checking out a laptop or some other mundane task that I refuse to discuss, since I was ON VACATION! Soon I have another one from her, and a text from my CRT. I told the CRT that I was on vacation, and there for, was not going to call my principal back. I get on the flight and shut off my phone. I land...and turn on my phone again - email, message, and texts. Something about a position..my interest is piqued and I call back.

At this point, my boss offers me a classroom position in a GIFTED 3rd Grade class!! I accept, in the car, while on the way to Steinhatchee to go scalloping with Jay's family. I should be over the moon excited at this point, right?! Well, something in the pit of my stomach tells me "Not so fast" so I only tell a select few people. The next day we are out on the boat and I check my phone to see the time, notice my boss called and left a cryptic message. I immediately tell my MIL that I am pretty sure I just lost the job I got the day before - I was correct. At this point, I had been so excited about going back in the classroom, that thinking about going back into the library - even for a year as she said - HURT. I ask if there is any classroom I can take, while I work toward Gifted endorsement, and she says regular 3rd - I say I'll take it. Fast forward a day and I get a cryptic email from her that sounds like I got the gifted job back. At this point I am SO over the back and forth. Try to call her, no answer, so I email her back asking. All weekend goes by...

Monday morning I pull up to school to pack and move my stuff to a classroom - just not knowing which one - and as I get out of the car I get an email saying that I got the GIFTED job! Whew - rollercoaster ride over...except for the fact that I have a week and a half to get my stuff moved, some semblance of a class set up, and some planning to get done before the school year begins....

No comments: