Monday, June 13, 2011

2010 - 2011 School Year Part II

So...I got the holy grail of positions (in my opinion) at my school - a full time gifted classroom. It was 3rd, which kinda scared me as I am used to the big kids, but was excited nonetheless...

I had less than two weeks to get moved and organized and cleaned...all while having EVERYONE under the sun come in and comment on how they just didn't know where I was going to put everything, or just down right laughing as they wished me luck. Yeah, felt great. Thank goodness I had my Guardian Angel and Sanity, Maxwell, by my side. Whether she was in my room diving right in (even against my reprimands of her pregnant self being on a chair) or just texting/calling to remind me that I COULD in fact find a place for all of the stuff and get it looking cute. I also found support in the rest of "my team" (my old 5th grade team, that yes, I still refer to as my team) - Jessica by text and rest by random stop ins with ind words. I just closed the door and kept on plugging away. By Thursday night, everything was up and running - AND CUTE!!

I had a ton of anxiety about stepping into the Magnet program, and many anxieties cropped up as the year went on and I encountered more "firsts' of the year. With each new step I just kept plugging along, and it was easy because I ABSOLUTELY LOVED MY CLASS AND TEACHING!!

Who knew teaching could be so awesome?! Who knew you could come home happy (and not just on Fridays) Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy my past classes and did love my children, but it was HARD most days. I didn't know just quite how hard until I was on the other side this year. It shouldn't have to be that difficult, and it saddens me that it is.

To sum it up - I had a wonderful school year. We had great fun, tons of laughs, and my kids ROCKED the FCAT. Almost all 4s and 5s!! Six students got perfect scores on the Math and Two got perfect scores on the Reading...and they deserved it - they worked their butts off all year.

I was sad to see the school year end, but it was comforting to know that I will see them in the halls for the next two years. I am also looking forward to tweaking things and having an even better year next year!

XOXO

No comments: